Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thankful Thursday


Now adding to bouquets!

I am probably one of the most self-deprecating human beings you will ever meet. It stems from a life time of perfectionism.  I have learned, however, to just say, "Thank you." It's not easy. It took my bossy older (MUCH OLDER) "sister" of the heart, Sonja to teach me this lesson.

I can't even remember what the conversation was about. Sonja said she like something I had made, done, something. I answered something like, "Well, it needs..." or "But I am not sure...." She said words I will never forget.

"Just say thank you."

Cripes. That's hard when you have established a life-long habit of not being good enough. "Thank you" are two of the hardest words for me to utter when someone compliments me. Now, I am a natural encourager. I have a knack for seeing what everyone else does well. Just not in myself. And I know, you may feel this way, too, Reader.

Telling you how well you are doing and what is terrific comes easy. Accepting it, not so much. 

SO, here is the goal for today. Just say "Thank you!" when someone tells you something nice, good, adoring about yourself. Don't say it just when you have to, either. And tell someone how great he/she is. How much you appreciate him/her. Why save thankfulness for one day in November? Without the people in our lives we would be lonely, sad creatures.

Pitiful isn't it? Pitiful that we cannot accept the beauty or good in ourselves that we see in others. It's like saying, "God, You didn't do a good enough job with me." REALLY? Life is too hard to not say, "Thank you."

I am learning. I am trying. I will ALWAYS try to accept the words of others that compliment me or my work.

I will say, "Thank you."

Love you, Sonja. You ROCK.




No comments:

Post a Comment